Business Training & Programs In Southwestern Alberta
Get The Skills You Need To Succeed
Want to expand your skill set? We offer a wide range of business training programs and upskilling opportunities, from health and safety training to quick-start business intensives.
Learn how to market your business, understand basic accounting, and explore how to attract and retain talent as a rural business.
Our small business programs provide training and support for rural businesses across Southwest. Our goal is to help your company thrive by offering you access to specialized services like accounting workshops, marketing seminars, and so much more. We're here for entrepreneurs just like you - take advantage of our programs today and learn the skills you need to succeed.
Training & Workshops
100 Essential Small Business Skills
Community Futures Alberta Southwest is pleased to offer Canada's leading online education program for entrepreneurs in partnership with GoForth Institute.
If you're looking to bolster your understanding of how to start, run or grow a successful and profitable business, learn GoForth Institute's 100 Essential Small Business Skills™ in only 10 hours conveniently delivered to your computer through streaming video and an optional 400+ page resource curriculum book.
Each of the thirty 20 minute video lessons is delivered by an expert in their field of business - marketing, law, accounting, finance, human resources, strategy, marketing research, operations and government compliance.
Learn vital skills such as:
- How to find new markets and more customers
- How to run a more profitable company
- How to develop a winning marketing and social media strategy
- How to prepare your financial records
- Plus 96 more skills
GoForth Institute's 10 hours of online small business training costs just $295 + taxes. When you register through Community Futures Alberta Southwest, you’ll receive our $25 partner discount.
Business Succession Project
In partnership with Community Futures Alberta Centre West, Community Futures Central Alberta, Community Futures Crowsnest Pass, Community Futures East Parkland, Community Futures Highwood, Community Futures Lethbridge, and Community Futures Wild Rose, we bring you the Southern Alberta Business Succession Project.
Through this training, business owners, including farm owners located in these Community Futures Regions will have free access to a series of workshops and webinar series to help them prepare for the day they transition their business.
This program includes:
- Communication and Conflict Management
- Exit Planning Masterclass
- Establishing a Family Council and Family Constitution
- Establishing an Advisory Board
- Nonprofit Succession Planning
- Selling Your Business Masterclass
- Establishing an Ownership Council and Policies
- Business Transition and Success
Businesses listed for sale or ready for sale can receive a coupon to list their business with Succession Matching. The coupon is only $25 (value $2000) due to the funding received for this project. Contact us and we'll get you started!
Entrepreneurs With Disabilities Program
The Entrepreneurs with Disabilities program (EDP) was created to provide enhanced small business development support to people with disabilities in rural Alberta. Self-employment can be a great way for persons with a disability or an ongoing medical condition to get back into the workforce.
This specialized program includes:
- Business training
- Assistance with drawing up a business plan
- Affordable, flexible business loans to establish a new business, purchase an existing business, or expand or upgrade an existing business
To be eligible for the Entrepreneurs with Disabilities Program, you must:
- Have a self-declared disability or ongoing medical condition
- Live in rural Alberta
- Have a viable business idea
- Be able to contribute in some way to your business
To learn more about this program, please contact us.
Youth Entrepreneurship Program
The Western Youth Entrepreneurship Program can help you pursue your entrepreneurial goals and start a small business. We provide help in developing your business plan, mentoring and counseling in business development and operations, as well as access to flexible small business loans.
To be eligible you must:
- Live in a rural western Canadian community
- Are between the ages of 18 and 29 (possibly younger)
- Have a creative business idea or plan
Why youth entrepreneurship?
At Community Futures Alberta Southwest (CFABSW), we strongly believe in supporting our communities' youth.
We believe that youth entrepreneurship gives rural youth an option to develop their unique talents and abilities while remaining in and contributing to the community. Youth who are interested in starting their own business often find it difficult to get the support that they need.
Our organization attempts to fill this gap and support youth who need help in developing their business ideas, need financial assistance and have the strong desire to shape their own future. When youth want to invest in themselves and in their communities, we are here to support them in reaching their goals.
What services are available?
- Loans up to $25,000
- General business consulting
- Mentoring and community support
- Resource library
- Information on export and selling to government
- Referrals to other programs and support services
- Business training and education
How do you apply?
Contact us to discuss your idea and eligibility for the program. We would love to hear from you!