Alberta SouthWest Regional Alliance (Alberta Southwest), Community Future Alberta Southwest’s provincial counterpart, is launching a new regional economic development initiative titled “SouthWest Invest”. CFABSW has been invited to participate in the initiative. The following excerpt from the Claresholm Local Press describes programs key components.
By: Rob Vogt - Claresholm Local Press, October 23, 2014
Claresholm town council has endorsed an application for a three-pronged economic development program in the region....A resolution [passed by council Oct. 15th authorizes] the Town of Claresholm to participate in an application for the “SouthWest Invest” project, submitted by the Town of Pincher Creek under the provincial government’s regional collaboration program....The application...has three parts.
Wi-Fi expansion and broadband issues identification
- Build capacity and expand effectiveness of the current wifi wireless Internet network in the region;
- Research and assess broadband realities and issues, costs and benefits to gain a realistic view and strategy to provide services.
Community readiness and capacity development
- Review, assess, and evaluate all community websites in relation to regional goals, and create recommendations;
- Provide support to communities to implement recommendations and improve information sharing;
- Explore the feasibility and logistics of a media and community partnership to work, land, and opportunity listings.
Investment attraction issues, assets and capacity building
- Help each community identify its key economic development needs, unique strengths and assets within a regional opportunity strategy;
- Create stories/videos of key successes and opportunities in each community and the region;
- Develop print and on-line materials for regional and community opportunity promotion;
- Conduct success planning/transition awareness training to increase community capacity.
Alberta Southwest is striking a Regional Economic Advice and Liaison team to work on all aspects of this project. For further information on this initiative contact Bev Thornton at Alberta SouthWest,